Songwriter for Rihanna, Eminem and Diddy, Sold Her Entire Song Catalog to Afford the Settlement for Divorce

Songwriter for Rihanna, Eminem and Diddy, Sold Her Entire Song Catalog to Afford the Settlement for Divorce

In a new interview with Variety, the musician Skylar Grey, 36, shared a complete story why she is selling her song catalog.

"This past year, 2021, we finally resolved [the divorce], settled, I had to sell my catalog in order to afford the settlement, which was very sad in a way, because those songs like 'Love The Way You Lie' and 'Coming Home,' those are my babies,"

"But at the same time, nobody can tell me I didn't write those songs just 'cause I don't own the rights to them anymore, I didn't want to sell them, but it was my only way to put the past behind me…"

"I wanted to keep building it and growing it, But, I have such a weight off of me now with the case being over, I'm not on the phone with lawyers every day, and I'm not having to pay all these legal bills anymore." 

"Now I'm just focused on creating a new catalog and new money and new opportunities," 

"Every time one of those songs get used in a movie or whatever, I don't see any of that money anymore. But unfortunately, the majority of what I got paid for my catalog went to taxes and my ex-husband," 

"It's like your life's work, and then suddenly it's like, 'OK, I've got to give the majority of this away,' But that was my only option. Luckily, I had the option of doing something like that, otherwise I may not have gotten out of the case."

"I feel like that's kind of how I'm seen in the music industry, but as a songwriter, So I think with a lot of managers, they see me that way too. So they focus on wanting me to write songs for other people, that's where I've made most of my money, so it makes sense. But, at the same time, I want a manager who believes in me as an artist, because being an artist is my real dream."

"I'm going back in time and building this totally fan-driven foundation where I'm super in touch with my fans now — in a way I've never been before," 

"It's been really eye-opening, and a big confidence booster for me, which is something that I needed as an artist,"