Tan France Dishes on the Summer Style Trends He Wants to See: 'Celebrating Tailoring'

Tan France Dishes on the Summer Style Trends He Wants to See: 'Celebrating Tailoring'

Tan France is making a splash this summer.

The Express lead stylist and Queer Eye star is all about "dressing to look nice" this season (and forever).

"For years now, dressing to look nice has not been a thing — it's been about dressing over the top," France exclusively tells HotGossipNewz. "It's nice to put on a look and think it's really chic." And in 20 years, I'll look back and think I'm lovely."

To achieve this goal, and in the spirit of moving the "f--- on from street style," France, 40, is going for all things tailored for summer, because tailoring is always suitable, no matter the weather, he says.

"I love a great suit," France tells HotGossipNewz in the midst of Express' summer Style Editors campaign. "I adore a good blazer." It never goes out of style, and Express does it exceptionally well. I'm now obsessed with large pieces and beautiful shirting. This summer, I'm excited to return to celebrating tailoring and classic style."
Tan France Dishes on the Summer Style Trends He Wants to See: 'Celebrating Tailoring'

France describes Express as "timeless and classic," stating that it is a store that has something for everyone, for any occasion (and he warns shoppers not to sleep on the jewellery!).

France may now work for Express, mentoring the brand's Style Editors, but when he first relocated to the United States over a decade ago, he told HotGossipNewz that he felt Express was a "party brand."

"When I first told them I was going to do an Express shoot, they sent me a suit," France adds. "I hadn't decided whether I wanted to work with the brand yet, but they sent me a suit and told me to just try it on." I put it on, and for the first time in years, I was able to wear a suit without literally modifying it at all. Express is still the only brand where I can buy a suit off the rack and not have to modify it in any manner. That is incredible, in my opinion."

His work with the brand has expanded to include advising and inspiring the Style Editors (as well as appearing on the brand's social media and website).
Tan France Dishes on the Summer Style Trends He Wants to See: 'Celebrating Tailoring'

"I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it again: it's easy to put clothes on, but it's much more difficult to style them," France adds. This is where the brand's Style Editors step in.

The Style Editors are a group of fashion-forward individuals picked by the brand to influence buyers' behaviour in stores and online, as well as to be a part of the Express brand by starring in ads.

"I love that I actually get to do so much when it comes to how we style for the customer," France says to HotGossipNewz. "Express is very invested in the styling community, which is why they hire people like me to be able to speak to them and say, 'I've been there, and I know how much hard work it is.'" "I understand what it means to make someone happy."

The most recent ad was done earlier this year in Miami, with Style Editors and France joining together to show off the latest trends. France shocked the Style Editors by showing up at a cocktail reception to give them a pep talk at the end of the event.

The Emmy nominee gained to prominence as the style expert on Netflix's Queer Eye, where he advised the show's stars on how to dress to feel their best. It was there that he became more interested in Express and learned more about the company.
Tan France Dishes on the Summer Style Trends He Wants to See: 'Celebrating Tailoring'

"There are so many great options for every hero I have on the show," he explains. "That's mostly where I style now, and it's incredible to be able to take [the heroes] to a store and know I can get them something that will make them feel incredible." And it comes at an affordable price."

But, in addition to making his heroes and styling clients feel amazing, France uses Express to boost his own confidence, though he admits that it's still a work in progress for him. He singles out Next in Fashion co-host Gigi Hadid as someone who looks fantastic in anything, including sheer, which France despises. That's "exciting for her," he says, but he hasn't yet reached the stage where he feels confident in whatever he wears.

"I try to build other people's confidence, and at some point in my life, I'm going to start working on my own," he says. "I'm still not quite there yet."

Shop the latest Express styles online and in stores right now.
Tan France Dishes on the Summer Style Trends He Wants to See: 'Celebrating Tailoring'