Machine Gun Kelly Reveals How His Daughter Casie, 15, Helped Him Decide to Get Sober: 'Broke My Heart'

Machine Gun Kelly Reveals How His Daughter Casie, 15, Helped Him Decide to Get Sober 'Broke My Heart'

Machine Gun Kelly, whose real name is Colson Baker, recently opened up about how his 15-year-old daughter played a pivotal role in his journey to sobriety.


During an appearance on the Million Dollaz Worth of Game podcast on Sunday, Aug. 18, the 34-year-old rapper shared that it was a conversation with his daughter, Casie, that pushed him to make the life-changing decision to get sober.


"It all started when my daughter said, 'Dad, you know I can tell when you're high?' That crushed me," Kelly admitted on the podcast. "It was the ultimate disappointment."

Kelly recalled that Casie was only 11 or 12 years old when she made that observation.


"It took some time after that for me to fully commit to sobriety because, as anyone who has struggled with addiction knows, drugs have a powerful grip on you," he continued. "But that conversation was the first step. As a father and as a man, I knew I had to be the dad I always wished my father had been for me. I had to break this cycle for my daughter."


Earlier this month, Kelly revealed during an appearance on Bunnie Xo's Dumb Blonde podcast that he has been sober for a year. He spoke candidly about his struggles with mental health and substance abuse, sharing that he is now "completely sober from everything."


"I don't drink anymore. I haven't had a drink since last August," he said. "That was the first time I ever went to rehab."


MGK also revealed that he had previously struggled with alcohol, marijuana, and pills.

Machine Gun Kelly Reveals How His Daughter Casie, 15, Helped Him Decide to Get Sober 'Broke My Heart'

In July, Kelly gave fans a glimpse into his life as a father by sharing a heartfelt birthday tribute to Casie on her 15th birthday. In the first photo, the father-daughter duo posed together under a giant pink heart-shaped balloon arch, with pink balloon letters spelling out "HBD Casie."


"The world spins but when I look at you, it stops. Happy 15th princess 👑 🥰🥹," Kelly captioned the post.


The musician also shared several other photos from Casie's life, including sweet throwback pictures of a younger Casie fixing his mohawk and playing his guitar. In more recent photos, the two are seen watching a basketball game, relaxing on the beach, and riding a motorcycle together.


The Quran - Chapter At-Tahrim : 06

O believers! Protect yourselves and your families from a Fire whose fuel is people and stones, overseen by formidable and severe angels, who never disobey whatever Allah orders—always doing as commanded.