Toni Braxton Shares 'Anxiety' Over Lupus Flare-Up Concerns During Vegas Residency

Toni Braxton Shares 'Anxiety' Over Lupus Flare-Up Concerns During Vegas Residency

 Toni Braxton is prepared to take the stage, but the uncertainty of her health adds an extra layer of concern.

The Grammy-winning R&B legend, diagnosed with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) in 2008, is currently performing her Love & Laughter residency alongside Cedric the Entertainer in Las Vegas. This marks her first series of performances since undergoing emergency heart surgery in 2022.

"I've been feeling alright, but the anxiety is there, just ensuring I'm fully prepared," says Braxton, aged 56. "My doctor has given me the green light to proceed. I've been cleared medically, but there's still a bit of nervousness about performing after experiencing that health scare. However, I trust in a higher power, and that gives me reassurance that everything will be fine."

Toni Braxton Shares 'Anxiety' Over Lupus Flare-Up Concerns During Vegas Residency

In a twist of fate, Toni Braxton discovered that Cedric's late mother, Rosetta, also battled lupus, after agreeing to their seven-date residency at The Chelsea at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas.

"It was something I was very aware of. I just reassured Toni like, 'Look, I got your back. We're going to have a good time, don't you worry about it,'" shares the comedian, aged 60.

"I had no idea his mom had lupus," reveals Braxton. "I was like, 'Oh my God,' and he's so empathetic and understanding when I'm tired." [Fatigue is a common symptom of SLE, which causes inflammation that can affect the joints, skin, kidneys, blood cells, brain, heart and lungs.]

Toni Braxton Shares 'Anxiety' Over Lupus Flare-Up Concerns During Vegas Residency

Given her history with the disease, the star of Braxton Family Values has become adept at managing her health and taking necessary precautions. However, she acknowledges her humanity as well.

"You know what? I don't always eat well because I'm a burger girl, so I won't pretend otherwise," admits Braxton. "I try to eat as healthily as possible, especially when I'm working—I aim to be disciplined. But sometimes, I just have to indulge in those burgers and other treats."

Toni Braxton Shares 'Anxiety' Over Lupus Flare-Up Concerns During Vegas Residency

"I just try to pace myself. Pacing is crucial, and if I sense that I'm pushing too hard, I make sure to take a break. Sometimes it's challenging to recognize when I'm getting stressed or overdoing it, so pacing myself is key to staying well," adds the "He Wasn't Man Enough" musician.

Following its April 27 launch, Love & Laughter will continue through July. Braxton told that the residency will blend her singing talents with Cedric's comedic prowess, reminiscent of live variety shows.

"They're going to see a show like Sonny and Cher or Donny and Marie," she teased. 

The Quran - Chapter Qaf : 37 - 38

Surely in this is a reminder for whoever has a ˹mindful˺ heart and lends an attentive ear.

Indeed, We created the heavens and the earth and everything in between in six Days,1 and We were not ˹even˺ touched with fatigue.

Channels of Acquiring Knowledge

لِمَن كَانَ لَهُ قَلْبٌ ( who has a heart - 50:37). Ibn ` Abbas ؓ has said that here the word qalb [ heart ] means ` aql [ intellect ], because the centre of intellect is heart. 

Some scholars of Qur'an say that "heart" here refers to life, because the axis of life is heart. 

Thus the verse means only that person will be able to benefit from the advice and lesson of the Qur'an who has life or a sound understanding with which he comprehends. 

The one devoid of intellect cannot benefit from the Qur'an.

أَوْ أَلْقَى السَّمْعَ وَهُوَ شَهِيدٌ (and gives ear [ to the truth ] attentively....50:37). 

The phrase Ilqa'-us- sam' connotes to listen to someone attentively and the word Shahid means present. 

The message of the above verses is that two types of people benefit: 

[ 1] a person who has the mind and the intellect who understands it in his mind and accepts it; and 

[ 2] a person who gives his ears and listens to the Divine verses with an attentive heart, while his heart is present and not absent. 

Mazhari interprets that the first type is called kamilin [ thoroughly proficient members of the Islamic community ]. 

The second type is their followers and sincere seekers of Reality who are under the direction of a spiritual guide who, on account of their sincerity and purity of heart, accept the teachings of the religion.