Kelly Kay Confirms Pregnancy Due to Late Football Star Spencer Webb 'Second to Worst Thing to Ever Happen'

'Second to Worst Thing to Ever Happen'

While Kelly Kay enjoys her new role as a mother to son Spider, she admits that going through her pregnancy without her late college football player boyfriend Spencer Webb was a "very lonely" experience.

Webb, whose nickname was Spider during his tenure as an athlete at the University of Oregon, died in a rock-sliding accident just one week before Kay found out she was pregnant.

"I was present. Spencer died in my arms," Kay told PEOPLE. "I was the one who dragged him out of the water and supported his head until the paramedics arrived." Unfortunately, he died just as they were about to arrive."

Kay claims that she felt "very lonely" and unhappy throughout her pregnancy, "just wishing Spencer was here."

"The pregnancy was the second worst thing that's ever happened to me after that day," she admits, becoming upset. "I don't recall the first five or six months." A trauma brain exists, and it was quite difficult to balance morning sickness from pregnancy with being depressed and not eating."

"I actually had to go on high-risk because I wasn't gaining enough weight," she reveals. "Obviously, I believe in depression and anxiety." But once they put me on high-risk, they told me that if I ate enough protein and did other things, I'd be fine."

"I did exactly that. "I kicked my buttocks into high gear and thought, okay, I have to do this for my son and for him," she recalls.

"Losing Spencer is one thing you have to grieve for — losing the person you love, and then you grieve for losing your child's father," Kay explains. "You then mourn the life you had planned with that person." And I had to return to Tennessee, buy a house, and completely change my life on top of dealing with losing him and being apart from him."
'Second to Worst Thing to Ever Happen'

"It was a lot to go through being pregnant, and I'm just grateful that Spider came out happy and that we got through it as well as we did."

Kay claims Spider has "brought me out of the depression I was in" since the birth of her son.

"[Spider] is my best friend and my new favourite person on the planet, and I am loving every minute of it." "From his smiling and making eye contact with me, to sleeping and cuddling together, to poopy diapers and crying," she says. "I wouldn't change it for anything in the world."

"I'm just so relieved to have a best friend again." Everything I ever desired in life was a best friend, a lover, and a partner. And Spencer stepped in to fill those shoes, and now that he's gone, I feel like I have Spider, and he'll never leave me," Kay continues. "He's all mine. He'll be here forever. That's all there is to it. It's no longer just Kelly Kay. Kelly and Spider will always be together."
Kelly Kay Confirms Pregnancy Due to Late Football Star Spencer Webb