Sanaa Lathan Says Playing an Alcoholic in New Movie ‘Felt Cathartic’ After Giving Up Drinking 6 Years Ago

Sanaa Lathan Says Playing an Alcoholic in New Movie ‘Felt Cathartic’ After Giving Up Drinking 6 Years Ago

Sanaa Lathan stars alongside Aunjanue Ellis-Taylor and Uzo Aduba in "The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat".


"Each role I take on leaves a mark on me," says Lathan about her film and television projects. She often notices a "synergy" between her characters on screen and her personal experiences.


Lathan's latest project, "The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat", fits that description perfectly. The 52-year-old actress and filmmaker discussed the film, which is set in the 1960s and follows three friends as they navigate the ups and downs of life at a local Indiana diner. Directed by Tina Mabry, the film is an adaptation of Edward Kelsey Moore's novel.

Lathan plays Barbara Jean, a woman battling her own demons and self-medicating with alcohol—a role that resonated deeply with her. "It was cathartic for me," she says, explaining that there was a time in her life when she also turned to alcohol as a form of self-medication.


Lathan, who shared that she quit drinking in 2018, reflects on the reasons behind her past alcohol use and the decision to stop. "Navigating life as a woman, especially as a Black woman in Hollywood, is not easy," she says. "People find different ways to cope."


She adds that her drinking wasn't a daily habit but more of an issue when she went out. "If I was going out, I would drink more than I should," she admits.


Since giving up alcohol, Lathan's career has flourished. She has produced and starred in "Nappily Ever After", received her first Emmy nomination for a guest role on "Succession", and directed and led the 2022 hit "On the Come Up". Lathan believes that her success in the last six years is directly related to her decision to quit drinking. "I don't think I would have been able to direct a major studio movie if I hadn't stopped," she says. "There are things I'm doing now that I don't think I would have been able to sustain otherwise."


Lathan's commitment to self-care extends to her simple routines, like taking walks through Los Angeles with her dog Nala and spending quality time with family and friends. She recently discovered that alcohol abuse runs in her family.


"I did "Finding Your Roots"," she recalls. "And I learned that several generations of my ancestors died from alcoholism. My father broke that cycle, and it was a blessing for me to witness that. So when it was my time, I knew it was possible to stop, and I did."


Preparing for her role as Barbara Jean in "The Supremes" required Lathan to tap into her past struggles. "I knew I had to access a lot of my own experiences," she says. "I told myself, 'This is your chance to purge a lot of the pain you've been through in your life.'"

Sanaa Lathan Says Playing an Alcoholic in New Movie ‘Felt Cathartic’ After Giving Up Drinking 6 Years Ago

Lathan believes that everyone goes through pain as part of the human experience. "You can't escape it," she says. "But as an actor, you can turn that darkness into something artistic."


Her decision to join "The Supremes" was also influenced by her desire to work with Ellis-Taylor and Aduba. "Part of the reason I took this role was to work with them," Lathan says, laughing. "They're such incredible—no pun intended—supreme thespians."


"The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat" is now in theaters and streaming on Hulu.


The Quran - Chapter Al-Mulk : 14 - 15

How could He not know His Own creation? For He ˹alone˺ is the Most Subtle, All-Aware.

He is the One Who smoothed out the earth for you, so move about in its regions and eat from His provisions. And to Him is the resurrection ˹of all˺.