Halsey Releases The End Single Amid Personal Health Struggle

Halsey Releases The End Single Amid Personal Health Struggle

 Halsey has announced the release of "The End," the first single from their upcoming fifth studio album, and shared some personal health struggles that have inspired their new music.

On June 4, the 29-year-old pop star took to Instagram to reveal the new single, along with a candid update about their health. "Long story short, I’m lucky to be alive. Short story long, I wrote an album. It begins with The End. Out now," Halsey wrote, tagging the Lupus Research Alliance and the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

The post included photos and videos of Halsey receiving medical treatment and working on their music. In one video, the singer massages their legs, saying, "I feel like an old lady. I told myself I'm giving myself two more years to be sick. By 30, I'm having a rebirth. I'm not gonna be sick, and I'm gonna look super hot and have lots of energy. I'm just gonna redo my 20s in my 30s. Seriously."

The carousel also featured images of Halsey during treatment, a text conversation about their new single, a clip of them playing acoustic guitar in the dark, and a highlight reel capturing the emotional journey of their treatment and the making of "The End."

"The End," written by Halsey and produced by Michael Uzowuru and Alex G, is described as a haunting and gritty folk track, showcasing Halsey's raw vocals and acoustic guitar. The lyrics reflect their struggle with various health issues: "Every couple of years now, a doctor says I'm sick / Pulls out a brand new bag of tricks / And then they lay it on me / And at first, it was my brain, then a skeleton in pain / And I don't like to complain, but I'm saying sorry."

Halsey Releases The End Single Amid Personal Health Struggle

Later in the song, Halsey sings about the impact on their body and mind: "There's poison in my brain and in my blood." The track concludes with a poignant reflection on mortality: "When I met you, I said I would never die / But the joke was always mine 'cause I'm racing against time / And I know it's not the end of the world, but could you pick me up at 8? / 'Cause my treatment starts today."

Proceeds from "The End" will be donated to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and the Lupus Research Alliance. Despite not disclosing a specific diagnosis, Halsey has been open about their health battles. In May 2022, they revealed diagnoses of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, Sjogren's syndrome, mast cell activation syndrome, and POTS (postural tachycardia syndrome). They have also shared their struggle with endometriosis.

Halsey Releases The End Single Amid Personal Health Struggle

In April 2023, Halsey parted ways with their longtime record label, Capitol Records. Their managers, Jason Aron and Anthony Li of Anti-Pop, told, "After 8 great years, the decision to leave Capitol is bittersweet, but we are excited about exploring a new partnership and sharing new music with fans."

Halsey's last album, "If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power," a visual album produced by Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, was released in 2021. Their forthcoming fifth studio album will be their first with Columbia Records, according to Rolling Stone.

The Quran - Chapter Al-Qamar : 13 - 16

We carried him on that ˹Ark made˺ of planks and nails,

sailing under Our ˹watchful˺ Eyes—a ˹fair˺ punishment on behalf of the one ˹they˺ denied.

We certainly left this as a sign. So is there anyone who will be mindful?

Then how ˹dreadful˺ were My punishment and warnings!

Ø°َاتِ Ø£َÙ„ْÙˆَاحٍ Ùˆَدُسُرٍ‌ (to board that [ ship ] which had planks and nails...54:13). The word alwah is the plural of lawh and it refers to a board or a plank. 

The word dusur is the plural of disar and it stands for nail. It also means a cord of fibres of the palm tree with which the planks of a ship are bound together.