Elle Macpherson Defends Decision to Refuse Chemotherapy, Take Holistic Approach to Breast Cancer Diagnosis

Elle Macpherson Defends Decision to Refuse Chemotherapy, Take Holistic Approach to Breast Cancer Diagnosis

“There was no definitive path, and no assurances on either side,” expressed the 60-year-old supermodel.


Elle Macpherson has come forward to defend her decision to pursue a holistic approach to treating her cancer.


Appearing on Australia's "Today" show on September 9, the iconic supermodel, now 60, addressed the criticism she faced after revealing she was diagnosed with breast cancer seven years ago. Instead of following some doctors' recommendations, she chose to heal without chemotherapy or pharmaceuticals.


“To clarify, I sought extensive medical guidance,” she explained to the outlet. “It was intriguing because each doctor had a different perspective on the best course of action for my particular case of breast cancer.”


“There was no definitive path, and no assurances on either side,” she continued. “So, I made my choice based on all the knowledge I had gathered and what felt most appropriate for me.”


Macpherson expressed that she is “quite pleased” her decision has ignited discussion, as it can foster increased awareness and understanding.


“I want to emphasize that I’m not offering advice to others. I’m merely sharing my journey,” she stated on the show.


Macpherson initially spoke about her decision in a September 2 interview with Australian Women's Weekly, recounting that her diagnosis came as a "shock" and felt "overwhelming" to navigate.


The supermodel detailed how, after a lumpectomy, a doctor informed her she had HER2-positive estrogen-receptive intraductal carcinoma, a specific type of breast cancer, according to the outlet. Macpherson was then advised to undergo a more conventional treatment plan, including a mastectomy and chemotherapy.


Despite her initial shock, she saw the diagnosis as an “opportunity… to find a solution that resonated with me,” and she opted for a “holistic approach,” foregoing chemotherapy and pharmaceuticals.

Elle Macpherson Defends Decision to Refuse Chemotherapy, Take Holistic Approach to Breast Cancer Diagnosis

“I realized I needed to rely on my own truth, my belief system, to guide me through,” she explained. “And that’s precisely what I did. It became a profound exercise in being true to myself, trusting my instincts, and trusting the natural intelligence of my body and the course I had chosen.”


In her new self-titled book, "Elle," the supermodel — who is currently in remission — reflects on her choice of treatment, saying, “Declining standard medical treatments was the most challenging decision I’ve ever faced.”


“People thought I had lost my mind,” Macpherson writes in her book. “But I knew I had to make a choice that felt genuinely right for me. For me, that meant addressing both the emotional and physical dimensions associated with breast cancer… and that required courage.”


The Quran - Chapter Al-Ma'arij: 40- 41

So, I do swear by the Lord of ˹all˺ the points of sunrise and sunset that We are truly capable

of replacing them with ˹others˺ better than them, and We cannot be prevented ˹from doing so˺.