Rachel Leviss Discussed the Impact of Late Diagnosis ADHD along-with Autism

Rachel Leviss Discussed the Impact of Late Diagnosis ADHD along-with Autism

Rachel Leviss, formerly of 'Vanderpump Rules' fame, at 29 years old, revealed her childhood struggles with reading and how school posed significant challenges due to undiagnosed ADHD.


On her podcast, Rachel Goes Rogue, Leviss described the profound impact of her late diagnosis, calling it “life-altering.” She recounted, “My academic journey was fraught with difficulties,” explaining that her brain’s unique wiring went unrecognized for years.

Women's Floral Print Puff Sleeve Kimono Cardigan Loose Cover Up Casual Blouse Tops

“I constantly felt inferior because I struggled with basic multiplication and reading, unlike my peers,” Leviss admitted. “It led me to believe I lacked intelligence.”


Leviss was not diagnosed with inattentive ADHD until she was in college. The Cleveland Clinic defines this ADHD subtype as one characterized by difficulties with concentration, focus, and organization.

Rachel Leviss Discussed the Impact of Late Diagnosis ADHD along-with Autism

“I came to understand that I had been coping with an unseen disability all my life,” she reflected. “Receiving the diagnosis enabled me to gain some control and obtain necessary accommodations, which significantly improved my educational experience.”


During her podcast, Leviss, alongside autism and ADHD advocate Paige Layle, discussed the concept of “masking.” This term refers to the behaviors neurodivergent individuals adopt to fit into neurotypical social norms.

PUMIEY Women's Square Neck Tank Top Sleeveless Double Lined Basic Tops Sharp Collection

“When you mask, you’re unable to truly be yourself,” Leviss said. Layle, the author of "But Everyone Feels This Way: How an Autism Diagnosis Saved My Life", elaborated on masking, explaining, “It involves constantly adjusting your behavior based on observing others, striving to meet social expectations, which can be mentally exhausting and alienating.”

Rachel Leviss Discussed the Impact of Late Diagnosis ADHD along-with Autism

Leviss echoed Layle’s sentiments, acknowledging the duality of masking. “While it offers a semblance of safety, it also strips away authenticity. I found myself forging connections that were hollow because they were based on a facade.”

Trendy Queen Womens Tube Tops Strapless Crop tops Basic Backless Sleeveless Bandeau Cute 2024

She concluded, “To feel safe, I felt compelled to conform to others’ expectations, forsaking my true self. Consequently, I forged many inauthentic connections, which left me feeling unfulfilled.”


The Quran - Chapter Al-Munafiqun : 04

When you see them, their appearance impresses you. And when they speak, you listen to their ˹impressive˺ speech. But they are ˹just˺ like ˹worthless˺ planks of wood leaned ˹against a wall˺. They think every cry is against them. They are the enemy, so beware of them. May Allah condemn them! How can they be deluded ˹from the truth˺?