Christina Applegate's Daughter Sadie Opened Up About Diagnosed with POTS

Christina Applegate's Daughter Sadie Opened Up About Diagnosed with POTS

"I have fainted before, and I have gone unconscious," the teen shared on her mother's 'MeSsy' podcast.

Christina Applegate’s daughter Sadie is shedding light on her own health struggles.

The Dead to Me actress’s 13-year-old daughter was featured as a guest on the June 25 episode of her mother’s podcast, MeSsy, which is co-hosted by her close friend and actress Jamie-Lynn Sigler.

During the episode, Sadie disclosed her diagnosis of postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), a condition that disrupts blood flow and triggers various symptoms upon transitioning from lying down to standing, including fatigue, dizziness, and a rapid heart rate. This condition affects approximately 1 to 3 million individuals in the United States.

"It impacts my heart, so when I stand up, I get extremely dizzy, my legs feel weak, and I feel like I’m about to pass out," Sadie elaborated. "I have fainted before and have lost consciousness."

Though she was diagnosed just a few months ago, Sadie revealed she has endured the condition "for a long time," recalling how she frequently visited the nurse "multiple times a day" in sixth grade due to the persistent sensation of impending faintness.

However, the school attributed her symptoms to anxiety. "They wouldn’t do anything about it, which was really hard because I genuinely felt so ill and was in considerable pain," she recounted. "It affected me both physically and emotionally."

Christina Applegate's Daughter Sadie Opened Up About Diagnosed with POTS

While POTS isn’t life-threatening, it can significantly disrupt daily life and activities. There is currently no cure for POTS, so healthcare providers manage the condition with symptom-specific medications and lifestyle modifications such as physical activity and dietary changes.

Sadie recounted her initial symptoms in 2020, saying, "Every time I stood up, it felt like my entire world was crashing down and my vision would blur."

Applegate confessed that she initially didn’t grasp what Sadie was enduring. "I feel incredibly guilty because... I didn’t fully understand what was happening with her," she admitted. "I feel awful that we didn’t pay closer attention... I had never heard of this condition either. I’m so sorry, Sadie Grace."

Applegate explained that part of her misunderstanding stemmed from not witnessing Sadie's symptoms at home. "At home, you seemed fine," said Applegate, comparing her daughter’s experience to her own battle with multiple sclerosis. "It’s similar to us. When we venture out into the world, the stress and anxiety exacerbate our symptoms much more than they do in the safety and comfort of our own homes."

She also lauded her daughter for candidly sharing her condition. "I hate this for you, my dear... and I’m here for you and I believe you," she said. "Thank you for bringing awareness to this condition. Many people are unaware of it."

Sadie also mentioned on the show that she suffers from misophonia, a condition that causes intense, overwhelming emotional and physical reactions to certain sounds. "My two worst triggers are breathing and chewing," she disclosed.

Nevertheless, she acknowledged that grappling with her own health challenges has fostered empathy for Applegate’s journey with MS following her diagnosis in 2021.

Christina Applegate's Daughter Sadie Opened Up About Diagnosed with POTS

"When my mom says, 'I’m in pain right now. I’m experiencing tremors,' if I didn’t have POTS, I might not fully grasp what she’s talking about. But I actually experience tremors due to POTS," Sadie explained. "It’s definitely easier to understand what she’s going through when I have my own struggles to relate to."

The Quran - Chapter Al-Waqi'ah : 71 - 73

Have you considered the fire you kindle?

Is it you who produce its trees, or is it We Who do so?

We have made it ˹as˺ a reminder ˹of the Hellfire˺ and a provision for the travellers.