Christina Aguilera Recalls Pressure to Be 'Skinny,' Says It Was 'Unacceptable' When She Started 'Getting Thicker'

Christina Aguilera Recalls Pressure to Be 'Skinny,' Says It Was 'Unacceptable' When She Started 'Getting Thicker'

Christina Aguilera’s perspective on body image has transformed significantly over the years, especially after facing body shaming early in her career. Now, at 43, the "Genie In a Bottle" singer has adopted a mindset where other people’s opinions no longer affect her.


In a frank conversation with "Glamour", Aguilera reflected on the intense focus on her weight throughout her career and the challenges it posed. She revealed that much of her self-worth was once tied to how thin she was.


"As a teenager, your body is different from when you’re in your 20s," she shared. "When I started to fill out, it was seen as a problem. Suddenly, it was, ‘Oh, she’s gaining weight.’ I had industry people saying they preferred me as a skinny teenager."


However, with time, Aguilera learned to detach herself from others' judgments about her appearance.


"I’ve reached a point where I just don’t care about your opinion anymore. I’m not going to carry it with me," she said. "It’s up to you to own your space. What others think of me is not my concern."


This personal growth has also influenced how she raises her children — her 16-year-old son, Max, from her previous marriage to Jordan Bratman, and her 10-year-old daughter, Summer, with her fiancé, Matt Rutler.

Christina Aguilera Recalls Pressure to Be 'Skinny,' Says It Was 'Unacceptable' When She Started 'Getting Thicker'

"Your kids bring out things in you that you don’t want them to experience," she explained. "It’s like you’re going through it all over again."


Aguilera, who has been open about her experiences with body shaming, is committed to ensuring her children grow up with confidence and self-respect. She’s also been outspoken about confronting the double standards that women face in society.


Earlier this year, she discussed the challenges of being judged for expressing herself freely as a woman.


"I’ve faced the double standards firsthand — being criticized for being open, for owning my sexuality, and for empowering other women," Aguilera told "ADWEEK" in February. "People are uncomfortable with that."


She added, "I want my daughter to grow up without feeling any shame or stigma and to embrace herself as a woman. And I want my son to understand and appreciate the struggles women face, so he can be part of the conversation too."


The Quran - Chapter At-Talaq : 10

Allah has ˹also˺ prepared for them a severe punishment. So fear Allah, O  people of reason and faith. Allah has indeed revealed to you a Reminder,