Johnathon Schaech Says Sobriety 'Wouldn't Click' Until His Wife Got Pregnant

Johnathon Schaech Says Sobriety 'Wouldn't Click' Until His Wife Got Pregnant

In a recent podcast dialogue, the actor revealed how his wife's influence was the catalyst for his journey to sobriety.


Johnathon Schaech reflected on his path to sobriety, disclosing that it wasn't until his wife Julie became expectant that he found the resolve to cease drinking.


During the August 22 episode of Jennie Garth's podcast "I Choose Me", she inquired, "You opted for sobriety. What triggered your readiness for that choice?"


"I had made numerous attempts to get sober. I attended meetings but felt disconnected," Schaech, 54, admitted. "I couldn't engage. The discussions didn't resonate with me," he added, noting that he "kept returning."


For Schaech, the turning point came when "I met my wife, Julie, and when she became pregnant, I found myself confronting my reflection, questioning, 'Who is this person? Will I persist in repeating the mistakes of my past? Will I sabotage this like I've sabotaged everything else?'"


In that pivotal moment, the "DC's Legends of Tomorrow" actor recounted, he "resolved to abandon all substances and eradicate alcohol completely from my life."


"I began to comprehend the toxicity of it all and the damage I was inflicting. It was poison coursing through me, and I made the decision to quit," he elaborated. "I continued attending meetings, found an exceptional sponsor, and gradually encountered what is referred to as 'the miracle' in the program."


The "That Thing You Do!" actor, previously married to Christina Applegate from 2001 to 2007, and briefly to Jana Kramer in 2010, reflected, "During the first year of our relationship, I was still indulging in drugs and alcohol, as if I were a youthful Hollywood persona, believing that it was the way to captivate this woman."


"That was far from the truth, and it was unbecoming of me to continue as that person," Schaech acknowledged. "I aspired to be more, initially for myself, then for her, and eventually for our son, and later our daughter. I am deeply thankful to remain sober to this day."

Johnathon Schaech Says Sobriety 'Wouldn't Click' Until His Wife Got Pregnant

Schaech and his wife are parents to daughter Lily Jo, 4, and son Camden Quinn, 10. He also highlighted a recent milestone, "I received my ten-year sobriety chip," marking a decade of being substance-free.


He recounted attending an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting in Nashville, where "they didn't have a physical ten-year chip available." With a laugh, he added, "So, my wife found one for me online."


The Quran - Chapter Al-Mulk : 06 - 07

Those who disbelieve in their Lord will suffer the punishment of Hell. What an evil destination!

When they are tossed into it, they will hear its roaring as it boils over,