Kevin Smith Says His Mom Is Hospitalized, Recovering from 'Life-Saving Surgery': 'She Fights for Life Every Time'

Kevin Smith Says His Mom Is Hospitalized, Recovering from 'Life-Saving Surgery' 'She Fights for Life Every Time'

"I adore my Mom like anyone else, but I also hold her in the highest regard as the strongest individual I know," filmmaker Kevin Smith shared.


Recently, Smith disclosed that his mother, Grace, has been hospitalized following a "life-saving surgery." On September 4, the director posted an Instagram photo of his mother giving a thumbs-up from her hospital bed, offering an update on her health and commending her resilience in the face of a medical crisis at her age.


“On Monday, I went to see Mom, who’s currently recovering from a surgery that saved her life,” Smith wrote. “Mom has been in and out of the hospital all year, and while it's been difficult to witness, it's been even harder for her to endure. She’s turning 79 in December, so bouncing back from surgery is almost as challenging as the ailment itself.”

He continued, "I love my Mom like the next guy, but I also revere her as the strongest person I know. If I had to go through what she faces, I might have given up by now. But not Amazing Grace. She battles for every breath. It's genuinely inspiring. And while Mom might not approve of me swearing to express this, sometimes you need to drop an F-bomb to convey just how much you admire your heroes.”


Smith concluded his emotional message by expressing gratitude to the doctors and healthcare professionals who cared for his mother during her hospitalization.


The "Clerks III" creator frequently shares moments with his mother on social media, reflecting their close bond through both the highs and lows. 

Kevin Smith Says His Mom Is Hospitalized, Recovering from 'Life-Saving Surgery' 'She Fights for Life Every Time'

Back in 2016, Smith also opened up about her health struggles, revealing on Facebook that he “almost lost her.” At the time, his mother, then 70, had been grappling with a hiatal hernia for over a year. Due to her age, doctors were hesitant to perform surgery, but when her condition took a turn for the worse, they warned that she wouldn't survive without the procedure. “The doctor said if she had arrived at the hospital an hour later, we would’ve lost her,” he recounted.


“She’s incredibly fortunate to be alive, which is why we call her Amazing Grace (and also because she gave birth to me 45 years ago despite my size)," he continued. "I love you, Mom! Thank you for sticking around for me, Don, and Virginia—your grown-up kids aren’t ready to face the world without you yet! My advice: If your Mom’s still around, go give her the biggest hug or call her right now. It’ll mean the world to her to hear from her ‘Missing Piece.’”


The Quran - Chapter Al-Haqqah : 46- 47

then severed his aorta,

and none of you could have shielded him ˹from Us˺!